Tips for healthy summer – stay safe in sun
A healthy skin is always slightly acidic. This acidic nature is due to the protective covering of the skin by the secretion of the thousands sebaceous glands on the skin and also the perspiration. The sebum is designed to protect the skin from harmful chemicals sticking on the skin. Perspiration is mainly to wash away all the harmful things which have been stuck on the sebum layer present on the skin. It is estimated that normal human beings usually lose 800-900 ml of water every day by perspiration.
Now that we know how the skin is protected naturally we can start talking about skin care tips for summer. During summer the water loss is increased as body tries to keep itself cool. The water loss is rapid due to humid temperatures so it is very important to consume fluids regularly in order to keep your skin hydrated. Even though enough fluid might be consumed, there might be times when the fluid loss is very rapid. Once this occurs the sebum is not properly cleansed from the skin resulting in blocking or clogging of the pores present in the skin. This over time results in acne formation. So in summer it is very important that you regularly cleanse your skin.
Tips for healthy summer
A good skin care regimen for summer includes:
1. Cleansing the face regularly with vegetable soaps or natural cleansers.
2. Hydrating your skin with alcohol free toner. If not you can fill a clean bottle with filtered water and spray it on your face more often so that the skin is hydrated and also the excess sebum is washed away.
3. Exfoliation of skin should be done maximum twice a week.
4. It is important to wear light moisturizers. Remember using petroleum based moisturizers only results in clogging of the pores and results in acne.
5. Keep your lips always hydrated and protect it with a lip balm.
6. Take good amount of water -the old age, 6-8 glasses of water per day stands true. It flushes away all the toxins which can damage the skin.
7. Take antioxidants vitamin A,C ,E in pure form present in fresh green leafy vegetables and fruits.
8. Sprout salad is rich in proteins and good both for skin and hair. Watermelon and papaya are also good for skin.
9. Include 2 servings of curd daily in your diet.
10.Avoid Pepsi/ coke/ black coffee/ Thai and Chinese food with spicy sauces.
11.Apply a good sunscreen daily twice during sun hours whether or not you step out in sun. It is important to apply a sunscreen on a cloudy day and in monsoon season too.
12.Wash your hair at least twice a week. Either oil your hair once weekly or use a good conditioner after hair wash.
13.For skin problems, avoid self remedies. Consult a dermatologist.
If you develop skin issues, try these tips:
* If you get a sunburn, apply aloe vera gel after it was kept in the fridge. Try putting on a washcloth was was in the freezer as well. And don’t pick sunburned skin!
* If you have a blister, put a Band-Aid on it! It prevents friction and adds padding.
* If you develop head rash, apply a hydrocortisone cream or take an oatmeal bath.
A few moisturizers you can make at home for this summer :
1. Take cucumber juice and watermelon juice in equal proportions and apply on face. You can cool it in the fridge before use.
2. Rose water is also a good moisturiser and it can be sprayed on the face to tone and refresh it.